My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Monday, May 10, 2010

In Remembrance...


Stonewall Jackson was a general ahead of his time.
In a war that is considered to be the last "gentleman's war", Jackson implemented many principles of 4th Generation warfare, which many modern military officers still study. This was because he understood the underlining principle that there's "a time to kill and a time to heal".
And war is a time to kill.
Unlike Lee, who was the ultimate gentleman, Jackson advocated taking the war to the North, arguing that the North would never give up so long as the war was not being fought on their turf.
He knew that this would be the best use of the South's advantage in individual skill and leadership.
When Stonewall Jackson died on this day in 1863, the hopes of a nation founded on the Bible, and the Biblical principles of small government, died with him.
After the war, Lee seemed to regret being so conservative in his wartime efforts. He said to former Texas Governor Fletcher Stockdale: "If I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in my right hand."

As we look at these great men of the past, it is important to gain inspiration from their example and remember that the war is not yet over. We know that Christ's truth will ultimatley triumph no matter what "successes" are experienced by those in opposition to Him, including the current leadership of the United States.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Green Gardening Girl said...

The Call of Duty by George Grant may be my all time favorite biography I ever read. After reading it I told my family just how great Robert E Lee was. That book was marvelous.

Jessica

May 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Miller said...

I watched a good video the other day called Warriors of Honor. It is very good and I would recomend watching it. It is about Robert E. Lee and Stonewall. I sometimes wonder if the south would have won the war if Stonewall had not died.

May 10, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home