My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Letter From The USO...

Has anyone ever told you something or have you ever read something that had the opposite of the intended result?

That happened to me the other day when I received this letter:

Dear Mr. Boyd:
This Holiday season, will you help me bring a few moments of joy to a lonely soldier overseas? A few miles outside Kabul, a young Marine is aching to hear her daughter's voice say "Merry Christmas, Mommy!" for the first time.

A few lines further down...

And two time zones to the west, an Army Sergeant is hoping to connect, somehow, with her younger sister's bridal shower. She was supposed to be the maid of honor... but now it looks like she'll be stuck in Iraq till spring, and won't get home for any shower, or even for the wedding.

The letter goes on to ask for my money to help pay for pre-paid phone cards so military personnel could call home over the holiday... but my mind had already been made up.

Things like this make me very mad. They're trying to make me feel sorry for two women, who have volunteered for the military and have stepped out of their God given role as keeper's at home. I am sorry that they have forsaken their role in God's economy, but war and battle are specifically delegated for men to fight. This is not to say that women can't fight and in some instances kill, but that is not their purpose.
If we were fighting according to biblical principles: a) we wouldn't be there in the first place, or b) we'd have been in and out of the Middle East so fast that our troops wouldn't be spending Christmas over there.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Couldn't have said it better myself- Mom

December 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Challenge Staff said...

Wow Stephen,
U R TOTALLY Right, that kinda does translate into something other than what they intended...
Zach (officer Phillips)

December 6, 2009 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks Mom!

Officer Phillips:
Thanks for the comment. I think it was poorly worded myself.
Please update me via email on your brothers situation soon. We have been praying for y'all.

December 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home