My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Patriotism


Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein

I am proud of the small warrior heritage God has blessed me with. It stretches back at least to the 1100's, when the Celts fought battles between themselves. Even on this continent, some of my Scotch-Irish ancestors fought in every major battle of the Southern theater during the War for Independence. I'm a direct descendant of six Confederate soldiers. My grandfather was in the Air Force and I have an uncle currently in the National Guard.

As a child, patriotism to the United States was very important to me. It was a big deal to stand up and put my hand over my heart and recite the pledge or sing the anthem. I remember, before I had an interest in the War for Southern Independence, rooting for the Stars and Stripes. I couldn't believe my home state had fought against that flag!
However, as I got older, I discovered that blind obedience to a flag is a bad idea. Even though the United States is represented by "Old Glory", she is still ruled by mortal man (under God, of course).

My heroes are men like Carlos Hathcock, Leonard Holifield, Gary Gordon, Randy Shughart, Jeff Struecker, Hal Moore, Dick Winters, and many others. These guys paid a tremendous sacrifice. They were dedicated to completing their orders and endured incredible hardship. The physical and mental pain the men in our armed forces have gone through, and continue to go through, can be accurately described as hell.
They were told that they were fighting for their country, and that's what they thought they were doing, but were they really?

The way in which the United States has conducted warfare since the War for Southern Independence, with the possible exception of WWII, has been completely unbiblical. The politicians who run this country are the exact opposite personality type of the rank and file military man. One seeks compromise and is concerned with how he looks in the eyes of the public. The other seeks to kill people, break things, and is only concerned with the welfare of his buddies.
Today, there is nothing I would rather do than enlist in the military. However, I can't do that because my commander in chief is a pagan and will order me to do things contrary to the law of God. Much as I would like to follow in the footsteps of my fathers, it would be unwise to do so at this time.

So, dear government:
Do right by our fathers before you come for us.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Johnson said...

Good post, Stephen!

My granddad was in WWII, and his father and uncle were in WWI (the uncle was killed in France, 1918). My great-great-grandfather was, to the best of our knowledge, a Confederate veteran who served under Genl. Albert S. Johnston - my namesake.

I, too, have considered enlisting numerous times, but have come to much the same conclusion as you.

BTW - I think you mean that the US has not conducted Biblical warfare since *before* the late unpleasantness . . . they certainly didn't follow the injunctions of that Book during those four years. : )

November 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Johnson:
Thanks for the comment.
Wow! You have quite a warrior heritage yourself.

Perhaps I could have written that better, I meant exactly what you said. I was trying to say it in a way that included the War for Southern Independence in the period of time given.

November 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger R said...

My great grandaddy joined the Navy in 1941 at 14 years old, but got kicked out when they discovered his age. He quickly joined the USMC after that at the ripe old age of 15. He fought in many of the major campaigns in the Pacific Theatre for 3 years, ending with him getting wounded in Iwo Jima, and being shipped home just before being legally old enough to join. On his side of the family there has been warriors in (as best I can tell) every battle fought on u.S. soil. The Holt family came over to North Carolina in the late 1600s, and settled in Mecklinburg County.

I had planned on joining the marines when I was 17, but thank the Lord I came to a realization of the situations we are in before that point.

Sedition to tyranny is the greatest form of patriotism.

November 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Johnson said...

R -

Several years ago, I picked up a book at the library entitled, "Iwo Jima," written by Harry Newcomb, as I recall.

One the stories I'll never forget was of a particular young man who had joined the Marines at 15, fought all through the Pacific (including Guadalcanal, I believe), and then ended up on Iwo at the age of 17 or 18 (memory fails . . . it's been several years). I believe he was wounded.

That would not have been your great grandfather . . . would it? I don't know of too many fifteen year olds who joined the Corps and fought through the Iwo.

Amazing stuff!

November 10, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Excellent post, Stephen!

When you have time, I'd be interested to hear your arguments for WW2 qualifying as an exception to your "unbiblical warfare" statement.

November 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Again I say, GREAT POST! My Grandfather was a B-17 pilot from Indiana, and one of my grand-uncles was in the Navy during WWII. My g-g-g-grandfathers or something like that both fought for the Yanks, but my daddy raised me on the South since age six. :) There is still the possibility of my having a Confederate ancestor on my dad's mother's side, but I have no way of verifying that. :( (Huge sigh of regret). I know I have an ancestor that fought in the revolution from my dad's side. (My mom's side is all German-American; the earliest immigrants from my mom's line came to America sometime in the 1810's or later. I don't have the book handy, oh well.)
Keep up the good work!

November 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger R said...

Johnson,
Wow! That's neat! That describes him perfectly. His hometown newspaper did an article on his service. It would be amazing if that was him. I'll rent the book, and see if it is him.

Thanks!

RG

November 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home