My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

After Action Report: Challenge Basic

As some of you may know, my brother Michael and I just got back from attending Teenpact Challenge Basic at Fort Benning, Georgia.

It was an awesome experience! As we drove through the checkpoint, it was an indescribable feeling, just thinking about all the great infantry warriors of the past who had trained here, since World War I!

I hardly know where to start.

I guess I could say it was the most miserable and yet the greatest week of my life. Essentially, we were conditioned to do difficult tasks with minimum strength, wholly relying on the Lord and our buddies for the power to take the next step. During the week, we learned rappelling, hand to hand combat, land navigation, and basic first aid. The majority of the last two days were spent on the Yankee Road Land Navigation course.

The staff was absolutely awesome! Officer Stansbury, the program director, is one of the Godliest men I have ever had the honor to meet. He is a former Ranger, and, as one of the other recruits said, "He eats nails for breakfast every morning...without milk!".

The other staff, Officers Nathan and Caleb Hudson, Creswell, Zmudzinski, Chase, Schmidt, Phillips, Alasu, and Schalchlin, were phenomenal. We really drew together as a unit under their training.

Officer Phillips told me that he would be uploading some of the pictures that the staff took at the event on the Challenge blog, after Extreme.

Unfortunately, we took very few pictures, but here are a couple.

Michael on the left and Joel F. on the right...with some other folks in the background.

Officer Schalchlin and myself.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Dang!

Now why didn't you invite this ol' boy right here, huh???

October 9, 2009 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Johnson said...

Ah, yes, great vacation . . .

Wish I still had the time.

October 9, 2009 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Sounds great! Where do I sign up??

October 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Spencer:
Well, would a Californian like you be up to comin' down and spending time with rednecks like us? ;)

Seriously, though, since this was the first time I had done it, and I had to be invited myself because I'm not a member of Teenpact, I didn't feel like I could go out and invite a bunch of folks.

I will post the dates of future events, though.

Johnson:
You were greatly missed and we talked about you often!

Johann:
Unfortunately, this years event has already occurred. However, as I told Spencer, I will post dates of future events, or you can keep up with them yourself on the Challenge blog, which you will find on the left sidebar.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

October 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

My apologies, Johann!

I completely understand.

October 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Challenge Staff said...

Hey Steven and all other readers of this blog. That are men of course, my name is Zachary Phillips and I was a squad officer (Steven's officer coincidentally) at Challenge Basic '09. So if you would like to attend Challenge you don't have to be a member of TeenPact to do so. I oversee the Challenge blog so I will post dates and info on next years events at the appropriate time. Challenge will happen again sometime next fall. So until then follow the challenge blog and get to meet some of the men who have been through the training (online of course).
Zach
1st Timothy 4:8
HOOAH

October 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger The Warrior said...

LOL I WAS kidding, but yes, I would LOVE to spend time with all you rednecks. :-P Trust me, I hate what's going on over here. You read my blog at all?

Spencer

October 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Spencer:

If your really serious about coming, just keep in touch with the Challenge blog, I link to it, where the upcoming events dates will be posted.

Yes, I do stop by occasionally. Keep it up over there in CA!

October 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home