My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

God Is Great, Beer Is Good, And People Are Crazy

Author's note: I was having trouble thinking of a title for yesterday's post...until I found myself humming a country tune earlier this morning. I don't recommend Billy Currington's music, but its a dead ringer post title!

Nine days ago, on July 21st, Harvard professor Louis Gates Jr. was arrested by Cambridge policemen for disorderly conduct. To boil the story down, Gates had just returned home and found he couldn't open his front door. When a passerby noticed the door was knocked in, she called 911, thinking it was a break in. The officers arrived, led by Sgt. James Crowley, questioned Gates, and discovered that he was the homeowner. However, because of his belligerent attitude, Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct. Oh yeah, and Gates is a black guy. (Like that makes any difference?)

Obama appeared on the air with this statement:


So, he thinks we should arrest the same ratio of whites, latinos, and africans? Or maybe that we shouldn't arrest any of them at all? What happened to "minister of God to punish evil"?

As I think all of y'all know by now, whenever politics gets involved in anything, it generally gets screwed up. This is a classic example.

And yet another example of Obama having to stick his foot in his mouth. Unbeknownst to Obama at the time, the Sgt. Crowley that had arrested Gates, with allegedly racial motives, was the same one that gave mouth to mouth resuscitation to Reggy Lewis, a famous black basketball player for the Boston Celtics. Crowley latter said:
"I wasn't working on Reggie Lewis the basketball star. I wasn't working on a black man. I was working on another human being." That sounds like a sheepdog to me.

What also sounds like a sheepdog is the actions of Lucia Whalen, the alert neighbor, who called 911. She is now receiving threats for having called the police. "People called me racist and said I caused all the turmoil that followed, and some even said threatening things that made me fear for my safety."
Only in the Northeast.

Sure, it was a mistake, Gates owned the home, so why is America getting so bent out of shape about it?

I was glad to see that Miss Whalen says she would call the police if she was placed in the same situation in the future. "If you're a concerned citizen, you should do the right thing if you're seeing something that seems suspicious."

Obama's solution? Have a summit at the White House and talk about it over a beer.
I guess there are worse ways to settle differences but I would like to protest Obama's blatant racism as evidenced in his choice of Bud Lite. Every white person I know that drinks beer absolutely abhors Bud Lite, so I think we should take Obama to task on this.

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Son3 said...

Good post!

I don't think Gates' arrest was justified, but there was no racism involved whatsoever on the part of the cop.

I want to know on which side of the two-sided picnic table Obama will sit during the beer summit, Gates' or Crowley's?

July 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Great post Sir!

July 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Rocky2 said...

Christians & "Hate" Bills

If "hate bill"-obsessed Congress [and Obama] can't protect Christians from "gays" as much as it wants to protect "gays" from Christians, will Congress be surprised if it can't protect itself from most everyone? If "hate bills" are forced on captive Americans, they'll still find ways to sneakily continue to "plant" Biblical messages everywhere. By doing so they'll hasten God's judgment on their oppressors as revealed in Proverbs 19:1. (See related web items including "David Letterman's Hate, Etc.," "Separation of Raunch and State," "Michael the Narc-Angel," "Obama Avoids Bible Verses," and "Tribulation Index becomes Rapture Index.") Since Congress can't seem to legislate "morality," it's making up for it by legislating "immorality"!
[We are a longtime "underground" ministry specializing in airing unique articles such as the above listed ones - and we will give $100.00 to anyone who isn't "moved" by them! If you will pray for us, someone will know it!]

July 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Son3:
I think it was ok for Gates to be arrested, since he cussed the police out. Those guys put up with so much stuff, and Crowley said that he was confused when Gates started into his tirade just before they left.

I'm thinking Obama will take the easy way out and use a round table. ;)

Thanks Johann!

Rocky2:
"Since Congress can't seem to legislate "morality," it's making up for it by legislating "immorality"!"

Great point!

July 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Son3 said...

Cussing at cops from your own property isn't an arrestable offense, though.

July 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Oh really?!?!?

I didn't know that. That changes the scenario considerably.

July 30, 2009 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Great post.

The whole ordeal makes my blood boil. For a President who prides himself on overcoming racism, he sure likes to play the race card. Popularity starts going down and give it two days and he 'saves' someone from injustice.

Anyone want to bet he planted the reporter that asked that question at the press conference??

July 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger strad.delgesu.amati said...

Stephen,

The following quote from the police report clearly states that Gates followed the officer outside and continued to harass him about his mistake. The officer warned him several times about his behavior before he finally arrested him in a public place. He did cuss the cop out. He wasn't arrested on his own property. And the cop did not violate any of Gates' rights.

"Gates followed the officer outside and continued to accuse him of racial bias, the report said. After Crowley warned the professor twice that he was becoming disorderly, the officer wrote he arrested Gates for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space."

In the same situation, I believe I would have done the same thing. I think the officer was probably pretty confused to be called to a probable burglary only to find a college professor there to swear at him and accuse him of racism.

Once again, the most pertinent fact here is that Gates left his own property and continued to harangue the police officer in a public place.

Long story short, if you feel compelled to cuss a cop out, don't leave your home.

strad.delgesu.amati

July 31, 2009 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Olivia:
I don't know that the reporter was planted, there certainly seems to be a trend in that direction, but if she was, it makes him look even more stupid.

Graham:
Thanks for the comment!
I failed to notice that point. Thanks for bringing that to the discussion. I'm thinking about doing a followup post on the subject.

July 31, 2009 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Great point, Mr. strad.delgesu.amati! I think the subject of this post is veeery interesting.

July 31, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Son3 said...

Hmm, I read he was on his front porch when he was arrested. Either that information was incorrect, or there's a difference of opinion on the definitions of "public space" and "private property".

July 31, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger The said...

Hi Stephen,
This is Johnson's mom, Mrs. Hardy. I wanted to let you know I was in our local Dollar General store the other day, and guess what song was playing on their sound system? It was the first time I had heard the "God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" song! I almost got tickled as I associated the lyrics of the refrain with your post rather than whatever the rest of the song was about :) It doesn't take much to amuse some of us homeschool moms! I thought the title of this post was amazingly appropriate! I just wanted to let you know the Lord brought you to mind, and we are glad you and Johnson (and Mike!) have gotten to know each other. We enjoy your writing as well as your mom and sisters. BTW, tell them we have used many of their frugal suggestions. We now have bottles of vinegar and hy. peroxide by our kitchen sink! It's great. Please give my warmest regards to your dear mother.

August 31, 2009 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Hello Mrs. Hardy, thanks for stopping by!
I appreciate your encouragement.
Johnson has been a wealth of information as we are preparing for Challenge.
I will definitely pass the message on to the girls.

Tell everyone I said hello!

August 31, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home