My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Boyd Family Landmark

Over twenty-five years ago, before dad met mom, he began work for the Jefferson County (AL) Tax Collectors office.
About five years later, my parents were married and two years later, I was born. With the arrival of the rest of my siblings, and as we grew older, our parents began to seek guidance as to the best method of education for us. Through the teaching of the Welch family, whom many of you know, my parents felt led to homeschool us. As they took this step of faith, many other questions came up like, what is the role of the father in education?
As they examined these issues, the Lord, working through people like Doug Phillips, brought my parents to the conclusion that my dad needed to come home, to take the leadership of our family. At this time, he had been working at "the county" for about fifteen years and had what most people would consider a "sweetheart deal" through benefits, etc.
After many years of prayer, and the Lord opening door after door, my father was able to retire two weeks ago, and begin working on our family business as an independent contractor.
I'm sure to many people, the choice to leave such a steady job, especially considering the economic situation, seemed like a crazy idea!

I'm sure I don't know the half of what my dad and mom went through emotionally, but it's a great testimony to me that God has been faithful to provide for my family so far and we trust him to provide for us in the future. I have even more respect for my parents than before, just from watching them work through this prayerfully and I look forward to the impact that this will have on future generations of Boyds!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Remove not the ancient landmark... and don't forget to celebrate! Sorry I'm late to the party with this comment, but tonight I lift my glass of Bourbon with y'all in mind:

"Here's to the total number of tax collectors in the state being reduced by one, and to the ever more effective dominion-taking by the Boyd Clan that we trust will result from this step. Soli Deo Gloria!"

June 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

That's great Stephen!!

We too pray for the day when my Dad can come home.

~Mike

June 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks, guys!

We celebrated by taking our inaugural trip to Bass Pro Shops, among other things. ;)

June 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Gravelbelly said...

It's a big step for a man to leave a "good job" on account of personal conviction. Kudos to your dad, and blessings on the Boyd clan in the days ahead.

June 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home