My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Friday, June 26, 2009

The Alabama Governors Race

This one is going to be interesting.

As most of you know, I am politically conservative so I won't be wasting time by discussing the Democratic candidates.

The current candidates, to the best of my knowledge is:
1. Tim James
2. Kay Ivey
3. Roy Moore
4. Bill Johnson
5. Bradley Byrne
6. Tony Petelos
7. Robert Bentley

Alot of folks, huh?

This post will mainly focus on Tim James and Roy Moore, but here is a brief synopsis of the other candidates.
Kay Ivey- is the current state treasurer. It should be pretty easy to see why she won't get my vote.
Bill Johnson- director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs. He is closely associated with Bob "Spongebob Taxpants" Riley, as his campaign manager in '02 and a member of his cabinet, a fact that does not recommend him.
Bradley Byrne- former state senator and educator.
Tony Petelos- Mayor of the fifth largest city in the state, Hoover. Has a reputation for inovation, for example, the city's municipal fleet runs on biomass fuel (oh, please).
Robert Bentley- is in his second term in the legislature. He is a successful dermatologist from Tuscaloosa, and served on the 2008 Republican National Platform Committee.

I think everyone is aquainted with Roy Moore, the former Chief Justice who was removed from office after refusing to take down the Ten Commandments monument. Moore is very sharp. He has large portions of the Bible and the Constitution commited to memory. This is a great weapon to have in one's arsenal. However, he is perhaps too abrasive and I think it was this abrasiveness that cost him the governor's race last time. He would be a fantastic Chief Justice or "Ron Paul" type person in congress, but not as governor.

Tim James is a "politicker". Despite that, I believe his heart's in the right place. His family was one of the greatest supporters of Judge Moore during his troubles, and James is going to get my vote. He's a staunch conservative and will make a fantastic governor.

However, I could be wrong.

I felt the same way about Riley once.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I admit I haven't heard of the others...but I'm a wild fan of Moore. Never noticed the abrasiveness, but perhaps that's because of the distance (AL, CA).... But then again, I'm kinda abrasive.... :-P

June 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Ditto on being a fan or Mr. Moore.

June 27, 2009 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying.
I was a huge supporter of Moore every time he has run in the past. But during the last race he took on a very "God wants me to be governor" attitude that we didn't really appreciate, even though we supported him.
And I daresay that we would be supporting him if Tim James wasn't running.

June 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

Thanks for the info! I'd have to agree with on Moore being a wonderful leader in other political offices but not necessarily as governor.

P.S. There might be hope for my conversion over to country music. I've been listening to your playlist and have enjoyed several of the songs. ;-)

June 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home