My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Peace For Our Time"


On this day in 1934 Neville Chamberlain became the prime minister of Great Britain.
Chamberlain was born near Birmingham in 1869. His father was an influential businessman and politician with a colorful career, and probably mentored his son's future career in politics. Both father and son hailed from the Liberal party originally but Neville later switched to the conservative party.
Now, British politics are extremely confusing, so I will attempt no explanation of that here. To the best of my knowledge, the British Liberal party at the time was comparable to our Democratic party.
After serving as the Lord Mayor of Birmingham, in 1915, he determined to run for prime minister in 1916 and was elected at the age of 45. Over the course of the next several years he became the leader of the conservative party. Although he was a conservative, his policies were somewhat influenced by the liberals. A good modern example would be John McCain.
As the troubles developed that would result in World War II, Chamberlain took a very liberal position on it. He was committed to peace at all costs.
As Adolf Hitler invaded Austria and demanded that the Sudentenland be given to him, Chamberlain was forced to take action. He and the French Prime Minister met with Hitler and Mussolini in Munich and formed the Munich Agreement. Essentially, this agreement allowed Hitler to have the Sudetenland and parts of Czechoslovakia if he would be a good little boy and not invade any more countries.

Chamberlain returned to England, saying:
" I believe it is peace for our time [emphasis added]. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And now I recommend you to go home and sleep quietly in your beds."

The naivety of this statement is astounding. Hitler's aggression should have been a huge warning sign, and he was telling his friends to go to sleep quietly?
He never understood that there are things worth defending through fighting and killing. However, Britain had enough and Chamberlain was asked to resign to make way for the Big Stick himself, Winston Churchill.

We can take Chamberlain's example as a warning... never drop your guard. Our fore bearers did this and it resulted in the War of Northern Aggression, and ultimately, the fall of America as a Christian nation.

No matter what our leaders say to try and calm us down, we always remain vigilant for any encroachment on the crown rights of King Jesus.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Slimeball alert!

The Black Belt magazine editor rightfully likened the current PM of GB to Chamberlain as his advice to any citizen when and if they saw someone having a violent crime acted out against them was to simply "walk away". Ugh!

So how ya been? I still need to the the Dark Knight review I promised you, but I've done a lot lately. You haven't been around much, I miss your comments, man. :-)

Spencer

May 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Hi Spencer:

I agree, more people are following the stereotype of Chamberlain than not.

We're doing alright, as you may have noticed, outdoor work is keeping us really busy!

May 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Ishkie said...

How, exactly, did the war that ended slavery bring about the downfall of America as a Christian nation? Also, our government can no longer afford to privilege one religion over another. The world is far too complex a place and America too diverse. I know you think you're a member of God's army, but did you even listen to the Sermon on the Mount? I know you think you aren't full of hate, that you're an accepting person, but you scare me. Because you think gay people are broken and need to be fixed, like mentally retarded people in the eighteen hundreds. Because you think Catholics aren't Christians -- they worship the Anti-Christ, as your hero Knox said. Because you think non-Christians should not have a voice in their government. That's what you're really saying when you say America should be a Christian nation. And when you say that the "War of Northern Aggression" resulted in the fall of America as a Christian nation, you're saying that a war that established the national government as more powerful than the state government and *ended the slavery that Jesus himself so abhorred* led our country one more step away from God. Tell me why it is okay for states to secede because they don't like who the *legally elected* president is. Tell me why that is something that should have been allowed and then tell me how you would have felt if New England had seceded with the fraudulent elections (both) of GWB. Although, I wonder -- you probably do believe that America would be a more godly nation if we heathen patriots in the Irish Riviera (because the Republic is a largely Catholic country and my little patch of Massachusetts has the highest concentration of Irish-Americans in the world) seceded and let you get on with fear-mongering and intolerance. I'm really not trying to be rude or sarcastic -- these are legitimate issues I have with the things you say and believe. I would really like to debate this further -- please feel free to email me if you're interested in an open debate on this. And if you're curious about what a good Catholic girl is doing being a pro-choice-ing, gay-wed-ing, wide-spread digging hippie.

June 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

The slavery of the Africans was not what the war was about. It was used as an excuse to keep the British from coming into the war on the Confederate's side. Much of the Yankee high command owned slaves or had relatives that did. Abraham Lincoln's wife, for instance, as well as General Grant himself.

I don't believe it's a question of favoring one religion over another, it's as simple as obeying the law of God. There is no neutral ground. Either we obey the Bible or we don't. Either we're Christian or we aren't.
I have read the Sermon on the Mount and I'm not sure what your point is here.
I do think Sodomites are fallen sinners and need to call on the name of the Lord and turn from their wicked ways.
As to your other points, I hope I back up all my beliefs on the Word of God and I challenge you to do the same. It's not my opinion.
When I say that the War of Northern Aggression resulted in the fall of America as a Christian nation, I actually am saying that it established the central government in the place of God, which is idolatry.
We Southerners didn't secede because we merely "didn't like" who the president was. We seceded because we didn't want his pagan ideology imposed on us, which is exactly what ended up happening, after having exhausted all peaceable means of reasoning with him, according to Scripture.
As to NE seceding, you don't want to know what I would have to say about that. We do not have a very high opinion of GWB.
As to me spreading fear and intolerance, I hope that I would respond to every situation that arises in a Christ like manner.

I don't take your comments as rude or sarcastic and I completely agree that these are legitimate issues.
I've enjoyed discussing these issues with you.

June 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home