My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

How Far Can The Apple Fall From The Tree?

Apparently pretty far!

(excerpt from article)

Alabama mainline Presbyterians meeting today voted 77-75 in favor of dropping long-controversial language requiring clergy to abide by fidelity in marriage and chastity in singleness.

The presbytery is one of 173 regional bodies in the 2.3-million-member PC(USA) denomination that will be voting on the issue this year. If passed by a majority, new language would allow more leeway to local presbyteries on ordaining clergy, who still must "declare their fidelity to the standards of the church."

The fidelity and chastity clause was passed in 1997 in an effort to bar active homosexuals from the clergy. It has been debated and challenged almost nonstop since then.

I wonder what John Knox would say?

And what about Ephesians 5:25-33?

In case anyone is wondering, when I call myself a Presbyterian, this is NOT what I mean!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm having the same problem with calling myself a Baptist.

Perhaps it's time to finish the Reformation and give this country something truthful to follow.

God Bless,
~Mike

February 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Roman Con said...

I feel your pain. It's stuff like this that drove me from the Episcopal church. I happily attend a Baptist church, now.

February 20, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger ChrisNC said...

The Presbytery of Charlotte passed the proposal, too. What bothered me was the news coverage that referred simply to "the Presbyterian Church", as if there were only one. Here in Charlotte, we have seven other presbyterian denominations represented. I myself attend a congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Hanover Presbytery. Those others have not replaced "thus saith the Lord" with "thus saith the church".

What I don't understand is why so many people are shocked by this. The PCUSA departed from biblical authority in 1906 when they de-calvinized their confessions in order to convince the Cumberland Presbyterians to merge. it wasn't a matter of becoming convinced that the standards didn't represent the teachings of Scripture, but rather to satisfy men. That attitude provides a philosophical beeline to this vote.

http://www.rpchanover.org

February 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger ChrisNC said...

This post inspired me to create a booklist on Amazon on the subject of historical Presbyterianism. Please take a look. Objections and suggestions for additions are welcome.

http://tinyurl.com/btrjfn

February 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I'll check it out, Chris.

February 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home