My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Blackwater Bites The Dust


I am so disappointed!

Not only did my favorite military organization lose it's contract in Iraq, they're changing their name!
In the first place, I don't think we should even be in Iraq, but since we are, there are several things we need to understand. First of all, the middle eastern countries did not sign the Geneva Convetions. So they're fighting under a different standard. (UPDATE: one of the comments on this post points out that the Iraqis actually have signed the Conventions.)
Blackwater has historically been able to fight at the muslims level simply because they cut through the political bureaucracy. Also, they have access to the best military technology, because the private sector is always ahead of the government.
Blackwater has been the premier politically incorrect fighting force in the world. The young men who fight for Blackwater are some of the best trained in the world, most of them coming from a Special Forces background.
There are no women allowed in combat roles, to the best of my knowledge.
As to killing civilians, I am so sorry.
I really am.
But in war, people die. Civilians die and it's terrible, but it's a fact of life.

Anyway, pardon my rant, but I REALLY think this was a bad decision on the part of the US government to not renew Blackwater's contract.

(I did a post on BW last year which can be found here.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger R said...

"First of all, the middle eastern countries did not sign the Geneva Conventions"

You may not think they are following the Geneva protocols, but they are signatories.

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/WebSign?ReadForm&id=375&ps=P

February 14, 2009 at 12:45 AM  
Blogger El Sid said...

It's not as big of a change as you think, and they are only changing the name of two divisions of the company.

February 14, 2009 at 3:11 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.
I just hate to see them change such a great name for political reasons.

R: Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I got them confused with the Oriental folks, which, according to Phantom Soldier, never signed. But their names are on the list?!

February 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Conservative Scalawag said...

First off, Blackwater isn't a military organization, the US Army or Air Force is a military organization. Blackwater is, well mercenaries hired by the US government to protect dignitaries. Sadly, they've gotten out of control and acted like mercenaries, yeah color me surprised.

This is why we have rules such as Geneva. In addition, no, it doesn't matter if the other guy did or didn't sign it, we did.

Therefor, I gotta disagree with you on this one.

February 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Conservative Scalawag:

Thanks for the comment!

As to whether or not Blackwater is a military organization, would you define "military organization" as simply the Armed forces of the US government?

I think I know where you are coming from, but the US government has absolutley no right to point it's finger at BW and comdemn their behaviour. Atrocities have been commited by US Troops as well as the Mercenaries.

As a Christian, my standard for everything I do is the Bible. I don't care what the Geneva convetions, Hague conventions, or any other conventions says, all of which I believe are unbiblical.

Once again, I appreciate your comment. It's ok for us to disagree on some things. I hope I am not setting myself up as an expert on BW and I hope if I say anything wrong, I will be corrected.

February 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger R said...

"Geneva convetions, Hague conventions, or any other conventions says, all of which I believe are unbiblical."

Can you explain what you mean?

February 17, 2009 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

R:
Sure, the Geneva and Hague conventions, as you may know, are considered to be the "Rules of War" by many nations. Addressing things like whether or not hollowpoint ammo is ethical or should the military engage non-combatants (i.e.- women and children).

The reason I believe they are unbiblical is because they are trying to set a standard of warfare for everyone to abide by. The Bible teaches that war is hell, a terrible thing that should be fought out as quickly and as decisively as possible. By no means do I think that we should go around mowing down women and children, but in war that is going to happen.
The Geneva and Hague conventions were an attempt to romanticize something that by it's very definition cannot be romantic.

Did I answer your question adequately?

February 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home