My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Abraham Lincoln Freed The Slaves! Huh?

When most folks talk about Lincoln, they talk about his attempts to bring freedom to the African slaves and the Emancipation Proclamation. While this is probably how he would like to be remembered, it's not exactly the truth.
He once said:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

In support of his administration was the House of Representatives, which on this day in 1861, unanimously passed a resolution guaranteeing non-interferance with slavery in any state. Now, keep in mind that many states had already left the Union, so the people who voted for this resolution were Lincoln's lap dogs. Two years later when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, he merely banned slavery in all the Southern states, which he had absolutley no jurisdiction over. He payed absolutley no attention to the hundreds, perhaps thousands of slaves in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and other places. That kinda sounds to me like he was saying, in effect, you can have as many slaves as you like as long as you agree to be slaves of the government.

And since the fall of the South, we have all been slaves.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ana Smith said...

Exactly! That's why I've said that my issue isn't that I believe slavery is right. I have huge issues with slavery. My issue is with the North being irresponsible placing all the blame on us Southerners.

(Yes, I have heard Christian arguments that slavery is scriptural, but I'm not convinced yet.)

February 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Haha! I like the way you think. :-)

February 11, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Bria said...

What a great post Stephen! This subject has been on my mind lately. Have you read 'The Real Lincoln'? I am reading that right now, great book! It really speaks the truth about Lincoln with dated documents from different people who knew him.

February 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Johann Van De Leeuw said...

Amen! Amen! Amen! I completely agree, but I didn't know there were slaves in Pennsylvania. Background?

May 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home