My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Valkyrie: A Review


Hello all! Due to the holiday atmosphere, etc., don't expect too many posts between now and the first week of the year.

I've never done a movie review before but I wanted to do this one because I think many people will put this movie aside simply because Tom Cruise is the main actor.
Sometimes I find myself stereotyping the Germans living in Germany during WWII. For some reason, it's just difficult to keep from making the general assumption that "all Germans were Nazis". This is certainly not the case.
Valkyrie follows the career of Colonel Stauffenberg, a Nazi soldier, who uses his influence to attempt to assasainate Adolf Hitler. Stauffenberg was the mastermind of the "July 20 Plot", the last of fifteen attempts to assasainate Hitler. It is a historically accurate film and I highly recommend it.
There is no objectionable content, besides some bad language.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Wow, I heard that Cruise ruined the whole film.
I'll have to take a look at it.

But about stereotyping Germans.
Most Germans (including the German Church), with the exception of a very tiny minority, embraced Nazism, hook, line and sinker.

A book I would really recomend is Education for Death, written in 1942 by an American teacher who was allowed to see the dirty side of Hitler's Germany.
But take heed, Education for Death should not be read by minors.

As Major Winters said:
"We had been living in foxholes in Normandy, we had been in the mud in Holland and we had suffered in the freezing cold at Bastogne.

Just a few days earlier I had seen a concetration camp not 100 miles from here (a German town).

These people (The Nazi's) were the reason for all this suffering, I had no sympathy for them or their problem's".

BTW, your movie review is great!
I'm counting on you to do another on "Defiance".

God Bless,
~Mike

December 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I am glad you did this review. I had been wondering about this movie, and whether it was good or not. I may just have to go see it now. :)

December 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

My dad saw the trailer and was wondering about it, thanks for letting us know your opinion! :-)

December 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Mike: Interesting points. So you've read Beyond Band of Brothers also?
And if you think that Cruise's American "pretty boy" image would ruin the film, think again! Stauffenberg looks very much like Cruise!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

December 30, 2008 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I've been very interested in this one, but nonetheless was afraid it would be inaccurate and far too Hollywood. No?

Spencer

P.S. How was your Christmas? How've you been?

December 30, 2008 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

I really didn't notice either of the objections you have, but all people are not the same.
I simply gave my opinion of it and another person may think it was the worst movie ever made. ;)

We had a rather busy Christmas, but it was fun, all things considered.

December 31, 2008 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Congratulations; you've made it onto my Best Blogs of 2008 list! (see my latest post)

Spencer

December 31, 2008 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yes!
It was a great book by a great soldier.

God Bless,
~Mike

January 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home