My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Music Of The Simple Life, Part 3

The South has for years been nicknamed "The Bible belt". I'm not sure where this originated, but in this post I wish to discuss a third genre of music that has come from the South that emphasizes the simple life.

Southern gospel. Bill Gaither. Quartets.
Many things come to mind when I hear the phrase Southern gospel. Officially, the genre began in 1910, with the formation of the first professional quartet. There are several things that draw me to gospel music. The (for the most part) upbeat tunes and the fantastic harmonies. Although Armenian theology is apparent in quite a few gospel lyrics, it's still alot of fun! There are so many different songs, here are just a few of my favorites:

I've Just Started Living
I Can See The Hand
This 'Ol House
Noah Found Grace in the Eyes of the Lord
John in the Jordan

And many more!

What are some of y'alls favorite songs? No matter what category they're in, let me know! (bluegrass, celtic, gospel, etc.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Son3 said...

Nice post, Stephen!

I have too many favourites to number, but here are a few:

Old Rugged Cross
Rocky Road to Dublin
America, the Beautiful
Dixie
Shenandoah

December 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

You know I love Southern Gospel, can't help it when my mom tears the piano up! My grandparents from Kentucky are visiting this weekend. My Paw Paw has picked guitar back up so we jammed! We played and sang:

Saw the Light
The Old Rugged Cross
My Soul in Sad Exile
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
Amazing Grace...
and lots of others!

Fun, fun, fun!

December 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Y'all sing "Saw the Light?! That's one of our bluegrass band's favorites!

December 13, 2008 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Great set of posts Stephen!

Some of my favorite songs are:

When I survey the wondrous Cross,
Requiem for a Soldier,
Oro se de bheatha bhaile,
The Foggy Dew (about the 1916 rebellion)
Boolavogue
Four Green Fields


Just to name a few.

God Bless,
~Mike

December 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

Oh, yeah "I Saw the Light" is a great one for jamming.

"Our blugrass band...?"

December 16, 2008 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Don't tell me you've never seen our bluegrass band! We played at the Bailey's barn dance last year. It consists of the Travers boys, dad and I.

December 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

Actually...I haven't. I didn't know ya'll very well when I was at the barn dance, and I was so busy talking to other folks that I didn't pay much attention to the music. I barely knew your sisters than, but I really didn't know the rest of your family. Sorry! That sounds neat though, I'd love to hear ya'll!

December 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home