My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Music Of The Simple Life, Part 2

Here I will cover music that's perhaps a little more contemporary, but still speaks of the simple life. It all started in the Appalachian Mountains, my home and the home of most Scotch-Irish. Here the great tradition of bluegrass music began. The theme of these songs is pretty obvious: love of God, love of family, and love of the land. The "simple" emphasis is evident in lyrics to songs like "Black-eyed Suzie". Here are some exerpts:

All I need to make me happy
Is four little kids to call me pappy....
Love my woman, love my babies,
Love my biscuits sopped in gravy...

Then we have
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy". This popular country song shows the gradual shade between country and bluegrass.

...Well a simple kinda life never did me no harm
A raisin me a family and workin on a farm
My days are all filled with an easy country charm
Thank God Im a country boy...

Another one of my favorites is
"Simple Life", by Ricky Skaggs. Here's the refrain:

My favorite book was wrote about
A man that died to save my soul
And my favorite thing to hear is
Daddy, Im so glad you home
And my favorite woman is 5'3"
With long black hair and green eyes
Still I live a simple life.

Now, not all modern country music is good, as a matter of fact, a lot of it is terrible!
Most young artists are pretty bad, but one of the "contemporary Southern" songs I enjoy is
"I'm Country", by Craig Morgan.

...Well, there's my Mama in the rockin' chair by my screen door:
The red, white, and blue hangs off of my front porch.
There's my darlin' in the garden pickin' black eyed peas:
Kids are bouncin' up and down on the trampoline.
My truck cost less than my champion 'coon dog:
My neck is painted red, by the Grace of God.
My kids say: "Please, Sir, Thank you and Ma'am."
I ain't what I ain't, but I am what I am...

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ana Smith said...

Fun, fun, fun!
I feel so sorry for Yankees...

December 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Bria said...

My favorite song would definately be A Simple life. Black-eyed Suzie is somewhat annoying!

December 10, 2008 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Awwww! Come on Bria! Black eyed Suzie is sooo much fun!

Ana: Uh-huh! Me too! ;)

December 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Bria said...

It might be fun when you are the one playing an insturment, but in the lyrics it seems like you just keep repeating 'Black-eyed Suzie'!

December 11, 2008 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger RGM said...

Stephen,
One of my favourites as far as decent modern country goes is Craig Morgan's "Country" a well.

One of my all time favourites is "Whistlin' Dixie" by the Bellamy Brothers.



RGM

December 15, 2008 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

RGM: Thanks for the comment. I really enjoy Whistlin' Dixie, that's the one you have on your blog, right?

December 15, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home