My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Biblical Qualifications For Civil Office

What are the Biblical qualifications for Civil Office?

I was asked this question also this past weekend, while debating various political issues with a few friends.

The long and short is, I don't know.

But I do have some general ideas.

In this post, I said I believed that the Biblical qualifications for elder applied to civil magistrates also. That is my personal opinion, but the Bible does not specifically mention at that place the qualifications for a civil ruler. In fact, I have yet to find those specific qualifications anywhere in the Bible. Maybe one of my well-informed readers can help me with that.

But a general principle, I think can be used here. Ecclesiastes 12:13 says:

Let us hear the end of all: fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Here everyone is commanded to fear God and keep His commandments. Now, there is no way to do this perfectly, but the over all trend of one's life should be to this end. History is replete with examples of civil magistrates who thought themselves above the Law (a.k.a., God's commandments).
Let me just say, good things did not happen to them or to their people.

Which of the political candidates "fear God and keep his commandments"?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Son3 said...

Great post! I couldn't agree more.

"Which of the political candidates 'fear God and keep his commandments'?"

Chuck Baldwin!

October 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Chuck Baldwin :O)

October 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks for the comments.

I'm glad to see that my readers are so open-minded! :P

October 7, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home