My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Should Christians Own Guns? Part 3

Continuing on from Part II:

What rights do we enjoy as American citizens that are worth taking someone’s life over? Let’s imagine that the government decides that we can no longer own property for the express reason of congregating as a church. For that matter they decide that it’s illegal for Christians to gather anywhere for the purpose of worship in any sense of the term and will confiscate immediately any building whether public or private (including homes) used for that purpose and sell it to someone else. Would we take up arms with the intent of shooting and killing the police who came to seize our property?The issue is this: What scenario could we come up with that would justify the taking of a human life?

The rights we as American citizens enjoy are God given, though undeserved. Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. I'm willing to kill and be killed preserving those rights because they are God-given and no man has the right to take them away from anyone else, except where God's Law allows, for instance executing a murderer. Also, this dependence on government is absolutely maddening! In case you did not read my father's comments on this, here they are:
Obviously private citizens cannot compete with the military in terms of firepower--that misses the point. The climate of personal firearm ownership is really an indicator of the degree of personal dependence on the state. Am I ultimately responsible for my family's safety and welfare (before God)or is it the states right and responsibility?

One parting question: If I am part of a ruling liberal majority in the U. S. House or Senate, do you think that my policy making philosophy might be influenced by the knowledge that there were 200 million Americans that owned handguns and knew how to use them?

Dad later added, "if I am a rapist/murderer, do you think that my decisions as a criminal would be influenced by the knowledge that 200,000,000 Americans were armed and dangerous?"


That being the case one has to wonder why is it that those who are most ardently pro-life zealously align themselves with those who are the most pro-gun?

Great question. Why am I pro-life and pro-gun?

I am Pro-life because God's Word says "Thou shalt not kill".

I am Pro-gun because I seek to keep from being killed

I hope I did this subject justice. I could have pointed out
1 Timothy 5:8, Ecclesiastes 3:1,3, and Luke 22:36, but for sake of brevity, I'll leave you to come to your own conclusion.

Here are a couple of other posts you might find interesting in response to Pastor Lance.
Response #1
Response #2

Also, you might find the comments to Pastor Lance's original post interesting.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Son3 said...

Excellent!

You have the makings of a great T-shirt:

"I am Pro-life because God's Word says 'Thou shalt not kill'.

I am Pro-gun because I seek to keep from being killed."

I'd copyright that if I were you.
:)

September 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Well Thank you!

T-shirts and bumper stickers is one of my favorite ways to communicate.

September 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home