My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Snake In The Grass

I believe the average perception of the National Rifle Association is that of a professional group off lawyers and other people who fight those mean politicians in Washington who are trying to take away our guns. And it was started by Charlton Heston.

While this was probably true while Heston was president, NRA has changed alot of their policies and even compromised on some issues that are pretty important, though not defining. I discovered much about the NRA as I did some research into it's history. The National Rifle Association was originally founded in 1871, by two old Yankee soldiers. It's purpose was to improve the marksmanship of soldiers in the Union army, since their shooting, as a whole, was so inaccurate during the late War for Southern Independence.

The NRA started falling out of favor with me when I discovered that. The possibility that they were falling to the "dark side" became startlingly apparent when we received this letter from the Gun Owners of America. Basically, the NRA had supported a gun regulation on supposedly "mentally ill" veterans.

But as I dug deeper, I discovered that the compromises by this so-called "pro-gun" lobbying agency were not new. Here is an article on the Congressional hearing on firearms in 1934, in which the president of the NRA states:

"I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I seldom carry one. ... I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses"

There is even a suggestion, with good proof, that there is possibly a symbiotic relationship between the Washington bureaucrats and the NRA:

The BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco, and Explosives) needs the NRA to keep resisting its agenda (or at least appearing to do so) so it can whimper to Congress that it needs more money, more manpower, more machinery, and most of all, more leeway with regard to its habitual violations of its victims' Constitutional rights.

Similarly, the NRA needs the BATFE to frighten its membership with (not to mention prospective members), using the violent and corrupt federal agency as a bogey-man, and its well-known illegal depredations and terror tactics to extract more money from those who foolishly believe the NRA can protect them -- or even has an interest in doing so.

Now, this is just a theory. Conspiracy theory? Perhaps. I do think it is a valid argument, though. But as Christians, we should remember that the battle is the Lord's. He can win it with or without our guns. This does not mean that we should throw up our hands and not do anything, but by faith in God's promises, we should seek to change tyrannical legislation.

Deo Vindice

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Son3 said...

Wow! We MUST be related, besides being brothers in Christ, of course!

Thank you for posting this article!

I recently became a member of the GOA, mostly because of my fury towards the NRA.

It's a shame that a man such as Heston will forever be remembered as being party to such a deceptive organization.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

August 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

LOL! We probably are!

Gun Owners of America is awesome! I should probably do a whole post on them. I like the postcards they send out for you to sign and send to your legislators.

You are absolutley right, Charlton Heston was a great American.

Thanks for the comment!

(P.S.- drop me your email address some time in a comment. I won't publish it.)

August 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home