My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Field Trip To The Naval Air Museum

Today dad took all us boys to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Since we are currently taking a vacation at Orange Beach, it was only about 15 minutes away.

We had visited the museum several years ago but I hardly remembered it and although I am not a big airplane enthusiast, today's outing was very interesting. The museum is located on the home base of the world renowned Blue Angels. We joined in on a guided tour after our arrival, which was very interesting. If you visit this museum I would highly recommend taking the tour. It's free and we would have been very lost without it.

Here are some pictures I took:

The world of aircraft.....

The Blue Angels.
Our tour guide said that they fly even closer together in formation but the folks who inspected the building wouldn't let them hang the planes any closer together because of safety reasons.

Here's the Scottish flag over the Alabama flag!
(actually just two signal flags)

Our excellent tour guide!

A Flying Tiger!

Us in front of the F-4 Phantom.

The art gallery contained a painting signed by some of the Doolittle Raiders. Jimmy Doolittle's signature was at the top of the painting.


Little boys and big guns.
(the 40 mm. anti-aircraft gun)

This is one of the actual planes that survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. It also went through the battle of Midway.

This is the Japanese N1K2-J. It was captured by the Americans. Our guide stated that many servicemen could'nt resist the temptation of jumping up on the wing and running up to look down in the cockpit....which would usually result in them being killed by the Japanese pilot. After this happened several times, the men were instructed to shoot their .45 handgun through the cockpit before looking in, killing the pilot.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

Looks to me like something by brothers and I would enjoy! Micah especially! Hope ya'll are having fun! We missed your family at church on Segecxpxeunday.

August 7, 2008 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks for the comment!

It's HOT down here!!!!

We miss y'all too, hope to be there next Lord's day.

August 7, 2008 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

My family visited the museum a few weeks ago when I was at Pensacola Christian College for music camp. I've never been interested in aviation or military history, but the tour made those areas come alive.

I was impressed by the museum's use of military veterans as voluntary tour guides. How many more of them are holed away in nursing homes by their unappreciative families?

I know what you mean about the heat! I thought humidity was bad here in Alabama. lol

I don't think my family will be able to make it to church this Sunday. :-( Hope to see you soon though. Maybe at Liv's ball? :-)

August 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

I noticed that! I believe our guide was a Korean vet.

I'm sorry we'll miss y'all this Sunday. We do plan to be at the ball, though.

August 9, 2008 at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home