My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Saturday, July 5, 2008

I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag, Part 3

To pledge allegiance to anything is a grave matter. A pledge is basically an oath. When you pledge, you are giving your word of honor. In the word "allegiance" we hear the word "liege", which means "lord". So you are swearing an oath that something has lordship over you. Who, or what, should we swear our allegiance to as having complete lordship over us?

The Pledge of Allegiance states: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. (I could go further but I will stop there for sake of brevity) A flag is a symbol. In this case it symbolizes the United States. Consider the ramifications of the phrase the United States. Before the War for Southern Independence, "the" United States was referred to as "these" Unites States, the proper term for the loose confederation of sovereign states. When you swear allegiance to the United States, you are swearing that a strong centralized government has lordship over you. Not just a strong centralized government, although that is bad enough, but a government that has broken covenant with God, through it's toleration of things which God declares abominations! The government of the United States is no longer exercising its duty as given in Romans 13, as ministers of God's justice, doing evil to evildoers and rewarding the righteous, but rather doing the opposite.

In consideration of these facts, is that what Christians should swear allegiance to? I hope that you do not get the impression that I do not believe in oaths of allegiance, but my allegiance is to God alone. He is the true Lord of everything and everyone whether they acknowledge His Lordship or not. If you feel the need to say a pledge, may I suggest the following, which we as a family recite every morning after breakfast:
The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
Deo Lex Rex (God's Law is King)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

OT my friend, you Airsoft, right?

I'm looking to do so, but don't know where. A local park, would that stir up trouble?

July 6, 2008 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

I don't own any airsoft, but I have played with some friends before. I really can't suggest a place...sorry. We are blessed to live on about 20 acres, so that's where we play. Our friends live on about 2 acres, so, it really does not require that much real estate.

July 6, 2008 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

GARRR!!!

I hate California more by the day. I live in a tiny little house, with NO yard, and the only spots I could think of to go shooting were the only two parks within walking distance. But parks have children in them. And California hates weapons, even plastic ones.

GARRR!!

Must find CA airsoft enthusiast....

Thanks anyways my friend. :-D

Spencer

P.S. We should exchange email addresses, what do you say?

July 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Well, I'm thinking if you did get sued, you could probably get an attorney from the ACLU to defend you. They are so screwed up that you would probably get off "scot-free".

It's alright by me to email. Leave your address in another comment and I won't publish it, ok?

July 7, 2008 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Got it!

"But parks have children in them"
Good training for a hostage situation?

We could use y'all in Alabama, seriously. You can tell your dad that we have the lowest property tax in the nation. It's true.

July 7, 2008 at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home