My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag, Part 1

This weekend, Americans all over the nation will celebrate the Fourth of July. Shooting off fireworks, grilling out, and other traditional patriotic activities will occur. But as Christians we should constantly be challenging the pop culture and take dominion by bringing it into conformity with the Word of God. Two ways that Americans display their patriotism, are by singing the national anthem, and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. When I was younger, there seemed to be something almost sacred about those two things. I always stood up and I always put my hand over my heart. I don't have a problem with the National Anthem. Although it is rather unnecessary, it commemorates a historical event and does not seem to have a blatant political agenda attached (unless I have missed something).

The same cannot be said for the Pledge of Allegiance. When a declaration of allegience attains the status of the Pledge, we need to carefully examine what it was originally intended for, who wrote it, and is it in conformity to the word of God. I hope to answer some of these questions in my next post.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ana Smith said...

Looking forward to the rest of the series. I once listened to a Basement Tape by R.C. Sproul Jr. that made me rethink some of the "patriotic" things we Americans take for granted.

July 2, 2008 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Really? What was the title of the tape?
The material for this series actually comes from a lecture series by Pastor John Weaver.

Thanks for the comments!

July 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Ana Smith said...

The title is: "Basement Tape #43 Patriots and Scoundrels."

You can find it here:
http://www.highlandsstore.com/products.cfm?product_id=9

July 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home