My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Natalie!

Natalie Macmaster was born on this day in 1972, in Inverness County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Born into a family of musicians, she is my favorite fiddler! Although, sadly, much of her most recent recordings are to contemporary, featuring electric instruments, I highly recommend her albums entitled: My Roots Are Showing and A Compilation.

video

The songs featured above are: Detroit Jig, Muckin O Geordie's Byre, Boys of the Lake, and Shakin's O the Pocky, from My Roots Are Showing.

Author's note: I also highly recommend her instructional dvd entitled, A Fiddle Lesson with Natalie Macmaster. If any of my readers are interested, here is the sheet music for: Detroit Jig, Boys of the Lake, and Shakin's O the Pocky.


Watch for Impact of the Scots-Irish on America, Part 3 on monday.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I think I may have heard of her....

Do you know of Celtic Woman's Mairead Nesbitt?

Spencer

June 16, 2008 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Thanks for the comment.

I don't listen to Celtic Woman a lot, because I am a bit of a "purist" when it comes to music. But I really enjoy what I have listened to.

Another good group that is similar to Celtic Woman is Leahy. What's interesting about this Canadian group is that all eight members are siblings! Donnell Leahy, the oldest, is Natalie Macmaster's husband.

June 16, 2008 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Purist as in you enjoy traditional Celtic or what?

June 25, 2008 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Purist as in I like traditional acoustic Celtic as opposed to the electric type. Do you follow me?

June 25, 2008 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

Yes, sure do. Then do you like Anuna?

June 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

I have never listened to them before. Are they good?

Because there is so much weird music out there, I usually don't listen to a group unless they are personally recommended by a friend.

July 1, 2008 at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home