My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Monday, June 9, 2008

Airsoft?....Or The Real Thing?


It was several years ago when I first heard the phrase "airsoft". Since that time I have watched with amazement as this sport has become more and more popular. As a disclaimer of sorts, please understand that I enjoy airsoft. I have played it before and had a great time.

Airsoft first became popular in Japan in the early 1970's. It was developed to fill a void left by the local laws forbidding private citizens from owning real firearms. Could Airsoft be used for the same purpose in the US? During the founding days of our country, young men received their first gun at the age of 13 or 14. Today's 13 and 14 year olds are buying Airsoft, not realizing that there may come a time when real guns are illegal, and thus, the tools for resisting tyrants are gone. The similarities between real guns and airsoft weapons are incredible! In a recent discussion I had with a friend, I speculated that one could probably buy a real gun for the price of an airsoft gun. He replied that it wasn't the same, since one cannot shoot people with real guns.I would take issue with this statement since the main reason to own guns in the first place is for self-defense! For $200-$230, one can buy an good-quality PDW (Personal Defense Weapon).
But that being said, I recognize the usefulness of airsoft as a training tool. The same friend recently explained to me that in order to be well rounded, there were two types of warfare education needed: simulated training, and weapons training. Simulated training (i.e.- airsoft) puts one in a real combat situation and forces him to make decisions based on the circumstances. Weapons training (i.e.- live fire) teaches one how to service and fire his weapon. I completely agree with this assessment.

But as he stated, it is necessary to have both, in order to be fully trained. Although airsoft can be a useful tool, due to the current political situation, now is not a good time to be investing in toy guns.

Author's note: The "friend" referred to is Micah Ferrill. Micah is a great guy and an accomplished "airsoftist"!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Great Post!

I agree 100 percent, I have never played Airsoft before but I hear it's much like Paintball, it just doesn't smart as much :).

I was watching a documentary the other day on weapons training and it showed the newest techniques big city SWAT teams are using, including blanks tipped with paintballs, which I thought was interesting seeing as how one thing both Airsoft and Paintball is missing is recoil, which in a combat situation plays a large roll.

I would have to say, if someone gave me $200 for a gun, I would go and buy Hi-point .45, although it is usefull to have practice.

God Bless!

~Mike

June 9, 2008 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

I don't know much about Hi-point handguns, but the advantage to the .22 mag is:

1.very concealable
2.cheap, high penetration rounds

The only thing I don't like about it is, it's not much accurate over 15 feet, but it's great for close quarters work

I would save the $200, put $200 more with it, and buy a Glock!

June 9, 2008 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Dr. Paleo Ph.D. said...

I would like to get a really cheap airsoft (I've seen some for $20!) and have fun with it, using it for the reasons you say. But, also like you say, there's no replacement for a real war tool.

Spencer

June 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Stephen Boyd said...

Micah told me, one could get a decent starter weapon for $50, but he's got some great deals from ebay!

June 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home