My Photo
Name:
Location: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie

Redeemed Sinner. Deep Roots. Southern Heart.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Military Leader Poll, Part II

Thank you, to everyone who participated in my poll!

Now for discussion time.

As y'all may have noticed, I did not choose any leaders beyond the War for Southern Independence. There are two reasons for this: first, in order to keep it less confusing. Secondly, warfare became much more technical after the War for Southern Independence, so my opinion is that military leaders before the war had to make do with a lot less than post-war leaders. What I'm trying to say is, military leaders before and during the war between the states were more talented than leaders after the war, simply because they had fewer resources.

When you look at military leaders, there are basically two kinds, those who revolutionize warfare, and those who put the principles to test. In most cases, both overlap . I would categorize Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E. Lee with the warfare revolutionaries. In the other class, those who tested the philosophy, I would place all the leaders.

When you voted, I hope you took into consideration two things. First, what was the moral character of this individual. Now I firmly believe that God looks at the heart, but history shows us that Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Grant, and Sherman, had huge problems in their personal lives, some of which were later evidenced on the battlefield. Secondly, what did this individual do to "glorify God and enjoy him forever", which is man's chief end.

That being said, my personal favorite, out of all the leaders listed, is Oliver Cromwell. Oliver Cromwell, as stated in a previous post, has been maligned for many years, but I would encourage you to read his personal letters, if you need evidence that he was a devout Christian. His formation and leadership of the New Model Army, is further proof. Because of Cromwell's close relationship with God, he never lost a battle! I know of no other general that can boast that record.

So what do you think?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home